Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Weighed and Measured...







This is Jesus' prayer to The Father before his arrest. John 17


17:1 When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, 2 since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. 3 And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. 4 I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.

6 “I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. 7 Now they know that everything that you have given me is from you. 8 For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. 9 I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours. 10 All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. [1] 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them [2] in the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sake I consecrate myself, [3] that they also may be sanctified [4] in truth.

20 “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. 24 Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me. 26 I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.”


During your time of judgement, Will Jesus argue your case on your behalf to The Father in the same way...

5 comments:

KayMac said...

Oh, that He would....

Sara Maria said...

Im going to steal a paragraph from your truth blog post but Ill give you credit. I liked it and now I want to write a blog about it. I think you are quite an intelligent person. I think it is going to be fun to show up at The Journey and guess who you are (since I dont know anybody but Jessica and Todd) from what you posted. It will be fun to see if I can guess who you are. One day Ill make it back there. I had some dumb school stuff this week that I had to do and next week is the recital. Well, and I got up at 1700!!! haha. Talk to you again soon. ~Sara Maria

DT said...

Hey Sara, thats cool. Im glad God is stirring in you. Whether you think it Him or not. I guarantee it aint the Devil. Ill post on your Blog as soon as I can. Enjoy the rest of your day

Sara Maria said...

Here are my answers!

Do I believe in Hell? Ehh...not really. I dont NOT believe in it, but I dont believe in it either. If Im not sure about God, I cant be sure about the other things that go along with the whole shebang. Biblically speaking, hell is eternal separation from God. Ok well, (assuming of course, God exists) then Hell doesnt seem like a place but more like a state of mind. Going by that standard, I guess I could consider myself in Hell now. I dont think there are good and bad people. I think all people start off with the potential to do good or bad things, but in the end we all die having done things we consider good or bad according to our own standards of what is "good" and "bad".

I wouldnt want to imagine chocolate mountains and candy cane forests, because Im not much for chocolate or candy canes but a red licorice forest, whose trees drip Propel fitness water (grape)instead of sap and everyone eats spaghetti for dinner: Im all for it. Heaven is a great concept. I like the thought of there being some happy little place to go when I finally kick the bucket.

On what you said about being a slave to something: I agree. I think that I am a slave to wanting to be accepted in society and have a happy successful life, according to my standards of what is happy and successful. I am a slave to it, in that if I DONT and I have a setback, I immediately feel like life really sucks. Because I dont really believe in anything, if I let myself down, thats all Ive got. Religious people "pray". I dont.

I was reading Romans 8 and I think its cool that you directed me to that passage in there. I think it says alot.

"Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6The mind of sinful man[e] is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; 7the sinful mind[f] is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. 8Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God."

In regards to me I think this is saying, (if I was to assume God exists) that the reason I am having trouble finding peace and contentment in my life is because I am not seeking it through Christ. I am seeking it through where society has told me I can find it. (school, money, entertainment, love/relationships, etc) I think this is saying you can truly believe in Christ and find peace. Im not sure how Im going to convince myself that God exists but I wont quit on it. So many people seem so happy and content with their religions.

The Bible is full of interesting things like that. Especially the book of Proverbs. My favorite Proverb is the one that goes: If you loudly bless your neighbor early in the morning, it will be taken as a curse.

Those are my thoughts on that chapter of the Bible.

Hey, no pressure on timing of replies!! I appreciate and respect how busy a person can be and you taking your valuable time out to chat at me is nice. Dont be pressured to reply right away. I wont egg or tp your house. (though I have been known to do this quite a bit in my younger day) I dont even know what it looks like. Honest! ;)

Anonymous said...

First I don't think I will comment as long as sara did, not that long is a bad thing - I just don't have it in me.

OK dt, to tell you all about going to Iraq, well, that would be better suited for emails. You are welcome to email me at barryfromtexas1@yahoo.com if you want. I hope I don't get too many nuts and flakes from posting that.

To comment on your blog - I definiotely count on Jesus doing it for me, unfortunately a lot of Christians tend to try to be good enough.

Blog Archive